Dubai Canvas 3D art Award
About Dubai Canvas 3D Art Award
The Dubai Canvas 3D Art Award is the world’s first award that recognises creative excellence in 3D art. The Award, which carries a total prizemoney of AED 2.3 million (US$650,000), was launched at the second Dubai Canvas Festival in March 2016.
3D Artists all over the world are invited to enter the Award by submitting works depicting their interpretations of the Award theme of ‘Happiness’.
A jury comprised of renowned international and local artists will evaluate the submissions to name three winners. There will also be awards in two special categories – ‘Best Emirati Participation’ and ‘People’s Choice’. The latter award will be based on public votes.
Brand Dubai will fly 25 nominees to Dubai and cover accommodation costs. The 25 nominees will be selected based on the artwork they submitted via the Brand Dubai website and email. The artists will execute their artwork during the Dubai Canvas Festival in March 2017, a total of 4winners will be announced at the end of the festival.
Historic background of 3D art
The roots of contemporary 3D art can be traced back to the art of the Italian street artists of the 16th century. Known as the madonnari because of their reproductions of Madonna, these artists would travel between festivals, creating works from brick, charcoal, colored stones and chalk.
In 1984, an American artist named Kurt Wenner invented a new kind of street art. Inspired by the use of the ‘anamorphic’ perspective of the European classical masters, he created an entirely new geometry to compose images that appear to rise from, or fall into, the ground when viewed from a specific angle. This form of art came to be known as 3D art.
Objectives of the award
- Promoting creative excellence in 3D art across the world
- Providing support for 3D art and artists to flourish.
- Providing opportunities for emerging 3D artists
- Enhancing standards of 3D art in the region
The Award is open to all artists of 18 years of age or above until December 15,2016.
Artists are NOT eligible to apply or be nominated if they are:
• A staff member of Government of Dubai Media Office/Brand Dubai or a consultant for them, a member of the current jury panel or a member of their immediate families.
• Their work or project is primarily of a research, scholarly, or commercial nature.
You can enter your artwork or nominate the work of an artist by submitting the completed application form on the Brand Dubai website http://www.branddubai.com/dubai-canvas-3d-art-award or sending the completed form and required attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Images of the proposed art work should be sent in jpeg format and be no larger than 5 MB.
Artists are also required to submit a statement of 150 words outlining how their artwork relates to the theme.
The closing date for entries is 5.00 pm, Thursday, December 15, 2016. Entries received after this date will not be accepted.
Submitted artwork will go through an initial round of evaluation by the jury panel. 25 finalists will be selected based on the evaluation of digital images submitted. You will be notified if your application has been accepted or rejected for the final round.
Selected artists will be invited to Dubai to execute and display their 3D art work at the third Dubai Canvas festival scheduled to take place from, 1-7 March, 2017.
1. The theme for the Award is Happiness; only artwork addressing the theme will be considered.
2. Artists may enter up to two artworks for the Award but only one work from an artist can win a prize.
3. The artwork entered must be the original work of the artist and should not infringe copyright.
4. Artwork previously displayed is not eligible for entry.
5. Only three-dimensional artwork can be entered into the Award.
6. Average size of the artwork should be 4X4 meters
7. Once an artwork is accepted for the final round, the entry should not be displayed elsewhere or substituted by another work.
8. Artists will retain copyright to the images of their artwork but should consent to the images being used in marketing and publicity material for Dubai Canvas 2017.
9. The jury’s decision is final and is not subject to appeal.
10. Selected finalists will be contacted by email and are expected to execute the art pieces at the venue of Dubai Canvas 2017.
11. Brand Dubai will cover flights and accommodation expenses for finalists.
12. Selected finalists must ensure their artwork is available for the full duration of the Award exhibition. Artists should also be available at the site of their artwork throughout the duration of the exhibition (March 1-7, 2017).
13. Assistants are not permitted
The panel will evaluate the artworks for creativity, originality, technical excellence, quality of 3D representation and ability to engage audience.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF WINNERS
Once the panel has made its selection and the awardees have been notified, Brand Dubai will issue a press release and post an announcement on its website and social media platforms. The winners will be honoured on the last day of Dubai Canvas 2017.
The organisers will start receiving entries from 15 April 2016. The deadline for submission of entries is 15 December 2016. A shortlist for the Award will be announced on December 15, 2016.
The choice of ‘Happiness’ as the Award theme is inspired by the UAE’s own focus on people’s happiness as one of its most important goals. The theme also reflects Dubai’s objectives of becoming a city of happy, creative and empowered people and a preferred place for people from across the world to live, work and visit.
The winner of the first place will receive US$300,000.
The winner of the Second place will receive US$150,000.
The winner of the Third place will receive US$50,000.
The winner of the ‘Best Emirati Participation’ award will win US$100,000.